Saturday, February 26, 2011

Who Was Henrietta Hartwell?

Henrietta was my ancestor. My Great-Great-Great Grandmother actually. I know a little bit about her, but not much on her family. Does someone out there know more?

Henrietta was born March 4, 1858 according to her gravestone.  Her death certificate says 1959. I'm really not sure which is correct. The Hartwells of America book states she had half-brothers, Donald (Daniel?), Amos, and John W who was born 1839. Whomever furnished that information to the Hartwell Association also stated Henrietta was called "Aunt Net", which was included in the 1956 Hartwell Genealogy. Unfortunately today, there isn't much more information on her family.

Henrietta was accepted into the Church in Modena, NY Sept 3 1876. She married William Ellis, but I'm not sure when. They had a little boy, Albert, on 14 Sept 1878. No long after that, William posted a note in the local paper (New Paltz Independant):

To whom it may concern:  My wife Henrietta, having left my bed and board without cause or provacation, this is to forbid all persons harboring her or trusting her on my accounts, as I will pay no debts of her contracting after this date.       William Ellis, Jan 24 1879.

I have not found any mention of why she left or when she went back.  However  they must have reconciled, as they went on to have a family of six children total: Albert b.1878, John b.1880, Isaac b.1882, Lillian b.1888, Alida b.1983, and Herbert b.1899.

Henrietta Died 19 May 1919. She had six children. As of today, I have identified 27 grandchildren; 34 great-grandchildren; 21 great-great-grandchildren; 46 great-great-great-grandchildren; and 15 great-great-great-great-grandchildren.

Now if we only knew who her parents were.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am so glad that I have stumbled upon your site! I really wish that I had more information for you - I have yet to figure out who Henrietta's parents are - but I love the newspaper posting you found!

    Henrietta is my great-great-grandmother on my father's side. (My grandmother is the last surviving child of Isaac, Henrietta's son.)

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete