Monday, April 20, 2009

But where do you find all this information?

I've been researching my family tree since 1995, and yes it has become an obsession. I never thought it would hold my attention as long as has. everytime I figure out who someone was, where they lived, and the dates of thier lives I discover 2 more puzzles, more commonly known as that person's parents. I always laugh to myself when someone says "oh yes, I have a relative that did all my family tree" because every family line expands back in time. I have over 10,000 relatives and collateral relatives in my family tree - and I'm far from finished.

Not only do I enjoy digging on my own genealogy (yes, its spelled G-e-n-e-a-l-o-g-y) but I also like helping folks with theirs. Lots of folks are interested in where great-grandma was from and what great-grandpa did but not everyone knows how to find out. The most common question I hear is - "Where do you find all this information?" There's a million places to look - but today I thought I'd give you some places you can check out yourself to see if you can dig up your family roots. Some are free, some require a membership (check and see if your local library has one you can use) and some require looking at at actual books or microfilm at a library. this is by no means an exhaustive list, but I'd probably consider it as my first line of attack with a new puzzle.

Do remember just because it's online doesn't mean its true. if its a record like a death index or a tombstone, it'll be a much more reliable date than that in a family tree someone else put together. Whenever possible find 2 or more sources for a date, and always question someone else's work.

http://www.cyndislist.com/ - the biggest collection of genealogy links anywhere.

http://www.heritagequest.com/ - which most local libaries will be able to hook you up with. Actual revolutionary war pension papers can found here as well as the census and historical books.

http://www.legacy.com/ - this will help you search for obituaries and the social security death index, both good sources of information.

http://www.findagrave.com/ - a index of tombstones put together by volunteers. If you have time and the inclination, add information from your local cemeteries to this database and help someone find their ancestors.

http://www.rootsweb.com/ - this volunteer site is especially helpful in hooking you up with someone else looking at the same names.

http://www.ancestry.com/ - This is a subscription site. They have some free indexes too. Some libraries and/or genealogy societies have memberships that may make it easier to access this site.

Enter the place and the word Genweb in your search engine - this should take you to a website with genealogy resources for the area you're looking for.

Find the local paper for the area you're looking in - and see if they archive their obituaries online. Also find where they can be looked at (usually at a library) which will help you find data in the news about your family.

That being said, a local library often has family information you won't find anyplace else.

There's a million other places to look - but that gives you a few to start you off. Just thought you might like the thrill of the hunt as much as I do. After all, I do enjoy sharing my hobbies with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment